The Enneagram: Your Secret Weapon for Team Development in the Business WorldJul 04, 2023
If you’ve never heard of the Enneagram, it's a powerful tool for personal and professional growth, and I want to tell you all about how The Art of Growth can help your organization use it to its fullest potential.
At The Art of Growth, we specialize in training organizations in self-mastery and social awareness using the Enneagram. But what exactly is the Enneagram? Well, it's a model of human personality that helps individuals and teams gain a deeper understanding of themselves and others. This psychometric tool is changing the way teams interact as they better understand their own motivations as well as the motivations, preferences, and behavior of other types.
So how can the Enneagram benefit your team?
Well, it all starts with self-awareness. By understanding their own personality types, team members can gain valuable insights into their core motivation and patterns of navigating the world. This self-awareness allows them to better understand their own behaviors and reactions, resulting in improved communication and teamwork.
But it doesn't stop there. The Enneagram also helps teams develop a greater awareness of others. By learning about the different personality types, team members can gain a deeper understanding of their colleagues' perspectives, preferences, and communication styles. This leads to more effective collaboration and stronger relationships within the team.
So how does The Art of Growth come into play?
Well, we offer a range of services to help organizations harness the power of the Enneagram. Whether you're looking for training sessions, one-on-one coaching, or team development workshops, we've got you covered.
Our team of experienced consultants and coaches will guide you through the Enneagram. Our first training, "Enneagram Foundations," is specifically designed to help individuals on your team understand themselves better.
During this 4-hour training session, we'll dive deep into the Enneagram model by experiencing the types and learning about the team in real time. By understanding their own personality types, they'll be able to gain a clearer picture of how they show up in the workplace and how they can leverage their unique qualities for success.
But it's not just about individual growth. The Enneagram also helps teams develop a greater awareness of others. At the end of the first session we are leading the team through a discussion of Work Values so they can start to extrapolate the learning into their daily work on day one!
Imagine the impact this could have on your team's collaboration and relationships. With this heightened awareness, your team will be able to communicate more effectively, resolve conflicts more efficiently, and build stronger bonds. And as a result, your team's overall performance and productivity will skyrocket. According to Phycology today, teams performed 40% better after engaging an emotional intelligence tool like the Enneagram.
Why We Train AS a Team:
It's great to hear that you recognize the importance of having a diverse team when it comes to training. At The Art of Growth, we couldn't agree more! That's why our training sessions are led by a team of three experienced consultants and coaches.
Having a team of trainers brings a variety of perspectives and expertise to the table, which can greatly benefit your team's learning experience. Each trainer brings their unique insights and knowledge to the training, ensuring that your team gets a well-rounded and comprehensive understanding of the Enneagram and its application in the workplace.
With our three-person team, you can expect different teaching styles, examples, and approaches to be presented throughout the training. This diversity allows for a more engaging and dynamic learning environment, catering to different learning styles and preferences within your team.
Not only does a team of trainers provide diverse perspectives, but it also reflects the collaborative nature of effective teamwork. By witnessing the collaboration and synergy among our trainers, your team can also learn valuable lessons in teamwork and collaboration.
So, if you're looking for a training experience that offers a range of perspectives, expertise, and a glimpse into effective teamwork, our three-person team at The Art of Growth is here for you. Together, we'll guide your team towards greater self-awareness, team awareness, and overall success. Let's embark on this journey together!
What is enneagram and how is it used in a business setting?
The enneagram is a powerful psychometric tool that can be used in a business setting to enhance self-awareness, team dynamics, and overall performance. It is a personality typing system that consists of nine different types, each representing distinct core motivations, priorities, patterns, and attentional pull.
In a business setting, the enneagram can be used to understand the uniqueness of individuals, what drives them, how they communicate, how you earn trust with them, etc. This understanding can help leaders and team members develop better self-awareness and make more informed decisions. It can also be used to improve communication and collaboration within teams, as individuals gain insights into their own and others' personality types.
By using the enneagram in a business setting, organizations can create a more harmonious and productive work environment. For example, leaders can tailor their management styles to the specific needs of their team members, maximizing their potential and creating a culture of trust and respect. Teams can also use the enneagram to identify potential conflicts and find ways to work together more effectively.
Furthermore, the enneagram can be used in leadership development programs to help individuals understand their own leadership styles and areas for growth. By gaining insights into their own personality type and how it impacts their leadership approach, individuals can become more effective and influential leaders. We offer deeper understanding in a training (and on demand mini-course) called the “Nine Leadership Styles” powered by the Enneagram.
How can enneagram help me better understand my business relationships?
Have you ever wondered why some business relationships seem to flow effortlessly while others are more challenging? Or why some team members just "get" each other while others clash constantly? Understanding the dynamics of your business relationships can be a game-changer, and that's where the enneagram comes in.
The enneagram uniquely helps teams better understand self and others, which is essential for building successful business relationships. By understanding your own enneagram type and those of your team members, you can gain valuable insights into how to communicate effectively, collaborate, and resolve conflicts. Some of The Art of Growth’s specific trainings include Work Values, Communication, Trust, Nine Leadership Styles, and even customized trainings based on a companies unique needs.
One of the significant benefits of using the enneagram in a business context is its emphasis on self-awareness. By understanding your own enneagram type, you can gain insight into your strengths, weaknesses, and areas for growth. This self-awareness can help you identify patterns of behavior that may be hindering your relationships and make conscious efforts to improve them.
Additionally, the enneagram can help you better understand your team members. Different enneagram types have different needs and desires, and by understanding these, you can tailor your approach to working with them.
How does enneagram help create a more effective and efficient workplace?
The enneagram is an incredible tool that can greatly contribute to creating a more effective and efficient workplace. By understanding the nine different personality types within the enneagram system, teams and organizations can gain deep insights into themselves and their colleagues.
Firstly, the enneagram fosters self-awareness. It helps individuals understand their motivations, fears, and automatic patterns of behavior. This self-awareness allows employees to recognize their strengths and limitations, enabling them to make better decisions and use their skills more effectively. With this understanding, employees can work towards personal growth and development, leading to increased productivity and efficiency in the workplace.
Furthermore, the enneagram enhances team awareness. By recognizing the different personality types within a team, colleagues can better understand each other's communication styles, work preferences, and ways of problem-solving. This understanding promotes empathy, cooperation, and effective collaboration, leading to more harmonious and productive working relationships within the team.
The enneagram also helps in identifying potential conflicts and challenges within a team. By recognizing the unique strengths and weaknesses of each team member, leaders and managers can assign tasks and projects that align with individuals' skill sets. This strategic approach ensures that everyone is working in their areas of expertise, resulting in improved efficiency and effectiveness.
In addition, the enneagram can be used as a tool for leadership development. Understanding the different leadership styles associated with each enneagram type allows leaders to adapt their approach according to the needs and preferences of their team members. This
Are there any potential drawbacks to implementing enneagram in the workplace?
While the Enneagram can be a powerful tool for self-awareness and understanding personality dynamics, there are some potential drawbacks to implementing it in the workplace. Here are a few things to consider:
1. Overemphasis on labeling: One potential drawback is the tendency to label individuals based on their Enneagram type. While knowing someone's Enneagram type can provide valuable insights, it is important not to pigeonhole people or make assumptions solely based on their type. People are complex and multi-faceted, and the Enneagram should be used as a starting point for understanding, rather than a definitive label. Any tool can be used for division even though it’s intended for connection.
2. Misinterpretation and misunderstandings: Another potential drawback is the risk of misinterpretation or misunderstanding of the Enneagram system. It is crucial to have a trained professional who understands the Enneagram and can guide the team or organization in its implementation. Incorrect interpretations can lead to misunderstandings and may do more harm than good. The enneagram is intended to reduce misunderstandings but can create the opposite if used incorrectly.
3. Oversimplification: Humans are deep and complicated, therefore the Enneagram is a complex system that seeks to understand the underlying motivations and patterns of individuals. However, in the workplace, it is important to remember that people are influenced by a variety of factors, such as culture, upbringing, and personal experiences. Relying solely on the Enneagram may oversimplify the complexities of human behavior and limit our understanding of others.
4. Potential for stereotyping: When using the Enneagram in the workplace, there is a risk of stereotyping individuals based on their type. The tool is designed to create more empathy and understanding of the other but some misuse it to reduce humans to type and no description, however helpful, can fully describe the depth or capacity of any individual.
5. Exposing: The Enneagram reveals our inner workings and strategies to get our needs met. For some Enneagram types the first experience can feel exposing. This is why among the many ways to discover someones type, the one-on-one typing interview for team members is the gold standard.
Is enneagram effective for managing teams and resolving conflicts?
Absolutely! The enneagram is an incredibly effective tool for managing teams and resolving conflicts within organizations. It provides valuable insights into the different personality types and their motivations, helping team members understand and appreciate each other's strengths and weaknesses.
One of the main benefits of using the enneagram in team development is its ability to enhance self-awareness. Each team member can gain a deeper understanding of their own personality type, including what is driving their actions and communications. This self-awareness allows individuals to better understand their own strengths and limitations, leading to improved communication and collaboration within the team.
Furthermore, the enneagram can also enhance team awareness. By understanding the different enneagram types of their teammates, team members can develop empathy and appreciation for each other's diverse perspectives, values, and approaches. This greater understanding leads to more effective communication and conflict resolution, as team members can adapt their approach to better suit the needs and preferences of their colleagues.
The enneagram can also be used to identify potential areas of conflict within a team. By leveraging the insights provided by the enneagram, teams can develop strategies to minimize conflict and foster a more harmonious and productive work environment.
To effectively utilize the enneagram in team management and conflict resolution, it is recommended to seek professionals like The Art of Growth for consulting, training, and coaching.
How does the Enneagram increase Emotional Intelligence?
Emotional intelligence refers to the ability to recognize, understand, and manage our own emotions, as well as the emotions of others. Here's how the Enneagram helps in this aspect:
1. Self-awareness: The Enneagram provides deep insights into our own personalities, including our core motivations, preferences, communication styles, values, and patterns of behaviors. It helps us understand why we think, feel, and act the way we do. This self-awareness is a key component of emotional intelligence, as it allows us to recognize and understand our own emotions more effectively.
2. Social Awareness: The Enneagram not only helps us understand ourselves, but also provides insights into the motivations and behaviors of others. By understanding the different Enneagram types and their unique perspectives, we can develop empathy and appreciation for others. This understanding of others is crucial for emotional intelligence, as it allows us to relate to and connect with people on a deeper level.
3. Improved communication: With a better understanding of ourselves and others, the Enneagram helps improve our communication skills. We can adapt our communication style to better suit the needs and preferences of different personality types. This leads to more effective and empathetic communication, which is a key aspect of emotional intelligence.
4. Conflict resolution: The Enneagram also helps in resolving conflicts by providing insights into the underlying motivations and fears of individuals. When conflicts arise, we can approach them with a greater understanding and empathy.